JIVE figures 09 Basicstep in hopping mode
The BASIC STEPS teach you the fundamentals of each dance style.
ROCK´N´ROLL is a competition dance closely linked to rock `n roll music. It developed from the Lindy Hop (a swing dance from the 1930s) and its distinguishing features are acrobatic parts. All jive figures can be performed using the rock `n roll basic step.
- Experience with movement and music
- Examples from the category: "Short Dances"
Tips for implementation:
- Different forms of organisations add variety and take some pressure off the teacher as the "presenter".
- When practising dance that requires a partner, students should change partners often so that the same students don`t always dance together. This ensures, for example, that students who are more advanced can help beginners (teamwork and coaching) and it adds some variety.
- Play some music during the practice phase (motivation). The sound volume can be varied.
- When the basic step is learned, the Jive moves can be performed with the basic step.
- Small acrobatic moves ("mini acro") are fun and an entertaining challenge.
- If, for example, two hopping parts and a jive move are combined, a small combination can be formed for all of the class.
Tips relating to the music: further information can be found under the heading "Tips & methods" > Music
- For this example, several different music pieces are suitable. A clear rhythm with between 120 – 150 beats per minute (BPM) is helpful. (Rock n Roll, Boogie Woogie)
- Good, motivating music is very important. Use songs that are currently popular every now and then. Bring faster and slower music to the lesson. These add variety and motivation to lessons.